Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why does my heart race after I take pain-medications? Anxiety?

I dont know if its from that, or just anxiety but it seems to happen right after I take my pain killers. Hyrdocodene 750mg and I take percocet sometimes. Its probally my anxiety right? If anything I would think it would acually releive anxiety since it slows down your central nervous system like xanax. I have xanax too but I dont want interactions to happen and all that.
Answer:
Here is a list of CNS side effects from Hydrocodone:
anxiety, dizziness, drowsiness, dysphoria, euphoria, fear, lethargy, lightheadedness, malaise, mental clouding, mental impairment, mood changes, physiological dependence, sedation, somnolence, stupor Do any sound like what you experience? Talk to your doctor, you may need a smaller dose.
I had a lump removed from my eyelid few years ago in the Docs Clinic. He injected the area with anesthetic and a small amount of adrenaline? I am on the couch while he is masking up and next minute I took a harsh sudden deep inhale of breath that was out of my control? I asked him what was going on and seems he was waiting for this, so he knew the adrenaline had hit my heart. He gave the adrenaline to stop any excessive bleeding. Now I take 2 mgs of Valium at night on going to bed, guess what, yes I have the same harsh sudden deep inhale and off to sleep. I guess it is the way the drugs affect the system, you have the race and then bang the drug kicks in.
Sounds like you might be sensitive to those meds. Don't assume it's anxiety. Tell your doctor. For me, any type of codeine based pain medicine makes me dizzy and makes my heart beat fast for a bit, or at least it appears to beat fast.
If you took xanax regularly and stopped taking it suddenly while you are taking your pain meds you could get rebound/withdrawal related anxiety and hear racing effects. It is a common withdrawal effect of benzodiazepine drugs like xanax.
It could also just be a simple paradoxical adverse effect of teh pain meds. Hard to know for sure. Sometimes drugs do the opposite of what they are intended to do in a small number of people. Like sometimes people take xanax and get anxious and disorientated or agitated and agressive instead of tranquillised etc is an example of a paradoxical effect. It is not unheard of what you describe. If you are concerned talk to your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment