Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why does blood oxygen monitor have to clip on finger?

How does it work without touching blood?
Answer:
I found a page that explains it pretty well. Here's the link:http://www.turnermedical.com/pulse_oxime...Hope that answers your question.Terry
It does not touch blood, just your skin! It has to be clipped to a bodypart that is relatively thin, like fingers, toes or earlobs.
If they can make a clip to fit a tummy or leg, they would probably run into storage problems.
It measures the O2 content in your capillaries via light.
It doesn't have to just clip on your finger. In the hospital, I've used the finger, a toe, the ear, and when it's not a clip, but a flexible sticky sensory, I've put it on their forehead or chest. I'm not sure exactly HOW it works, though.
Ones I use can clip on a finger, a weiner or a toe I prefer the finger

No comments:

Post a Comment