Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Why is your sugar count higher in the morning?


Answer:
Your body constantly releases a steroid (cortisol) to help keep it's functions in balance. One of the effects of this steroid is that it can raise your blood sugar. Almost everybody has a spike in this steroid production in the early morning before you wake up. This is probably why you have a higher count in the morning. This is called the Dawn Phenomenon.There is a slight chance that you are going too low at night and not noticing it. Your body then works to raise your blood sugar and this will make it higher than normal. This can be risky because people may try to take more long acting insulin at night, which would actually make their count go even lower than before. This effect seems to lessen the longer people are diabetic.To find out what is going on, try setting your clock for early in the morning once in a while to test your blood. If it is enough of a problem, make sure to talk to your doctor or diabetes educator.
I had a high glucose level in my blood test and they decided I might be diabetic, so I had to return for the test. Thankfully all was normal so the reason stated 'You have a slow metabolism!' I then took up Pilates, exercise and no further problem.
One reason that your sugar rises in the morning is that your liver produces glucose for your body as morning approaches. I'm not sure what regimen you are on but when I was taking NPH at bedtime, it never lasted long enough until morning time. If I took too much of it then it would peak around 3am and I would have reactions. I have since switched to Lantus and Humalog. The Lantus at night really does a good job at stabilizing the sugars for up to 24 hours. If you're not already taking it I would talk to your doctor about it.
I was told at my diabetes classes that when you sleep at night your liver still produces sugar. I was told to eat a snack before bed so that the food in my system would absorb that extra sugar and keep my levels where they should be.
It sounds like you have dawn phenomenon, I have that also, please check out website below, it will explain what you should do. I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment